Sunday, November 27, 2016

STATE 1 - Florida: Disney Princess Half Marathon 2011

Disney Princess Half Marathon 2011 (click link for photo album)

This is the link to pictures from my very first half marathon ever.  I decided to do one after being inspired by some coworkers who were avid runners.  I wanted to find a race that wasn't too intimidating, and I came across an ad for this and it sounded perfect!  I'll run for a tiara medal!  I loved the fact it was mostly women, the time limits were very generous, and it just sounded fun.  Whimsical, even!
A friend bought me the book "Half Marathon-You Can Do It" by Jeff Galloway, which also introduced me to the run-walk-run concept.
I flew down on a red eye flight from Seattle to Orlando, getting there Saturday.  I went to my very first race Expo - very exciting! - and then I had just enough time to go to Animal Kingdom.  I headed back to the hotel, had a quick pasta dinner, and then did my best to fall asleep, knowing the 3AM Eastern Time wakeup was going to be no fun at all for this WA girl!
I was pretty proud of my costume: a pink Sparkle Skirt and a matching pink shirt!  The expo gave me so many ideas for future costumes!
I honestly can't remember that much about the race, other than the fact it was exciting and so new and novel.  My heart was ready to burst with happiness when I ran down Main Street and then through Cinderella's Castle with the trumpeters playing and announcing the arrival of the princesses.  It was so much fun to look at all the other runner's outfits and just be a part of the Run Disney magic :)

Finish time: 3:21:43  Note: I stopped for every photo opportunity ;-)

Post race: I went and did Magic Kingdom and stayed out for the extra magical hours, then came back to the room, passed out, and got up at 5 to go to the airport to fly home. It was a bit of a breakneck speed trip and I don't recommend that, but one nice thing about going alone is there is always room for single riders!  It was very efficient!

No comments:

Post a Comment