Sunday, November 27, 2016

STATE 2: Virginia: Marine Corps Marathon 2014

Marine Corps Marathon
Background:
I joined a running group, the DC Galloway Marathon training group, and worked my way up from 6 miles to 7 miles to 9 miles, all the way up to 26.0 (deliberately).  It was great to make friends and have that social event to look forward to bright and early every Saturday morning!  A million thanks to Floyd, Liza, Melanie, Sam, and Tip - training friends who kept me motivated!
Race day:
The race morning was so exciting - thousands of runners demonstrating remarkable patience as they made their way onto and off the Metro!  No pushing, no sticking feet out to keep the door open.. amazing!  I loved all the parachuters, the helicopters, the anticipation, all of it!  I was super nervous, but well-prepared.
Course support:
I was happy to see my aunt at each of the spots I'd mapped out for her.  Marine Corps is an easy race to "spectate" with minimal walking for the one doing the spectating.  I saw her at mile 1 in Rosslyn, mile 10-11 as we came out of Rock Creek Park, again at mile 16 down by Lincoln after Haynes Point, and at the crucial Beat The Bridge Mile 20.
Race memories:
I was pretty sore by mile 16-17 but wow, running the mall and the monuments was amazing!  My heart started pounding with the drummers at the Beat the Bridge point!  The 14th Street Bridge went on forever.  I was hurting by mile 21 but at mile 22, I started seeing people I knew and getting/giving hugs.  Halfway through mile 22 I got hyper.  I was hugging everyone, including the Galloway group that was there cheering for us in Crystal City.  Mile 24 they added Munchkin donuts to the mix and I was on a serious sugar high!  That lasted until about the last corner before going back onto 110, where a fan had an appropriate sign "The End is Near!"  Then it got HARD.  Headwind, the prospect of running what I had already run before, and being doggone tired... but I kept going. I was checking texts to see Rob's progress and was elated when he finished, so I hurried up to join the party!  
I went up the last hill, turned the corner, and was so happy to hear my aunt yelling my name - she'd made it all the way down to the finish chute area!  That was just awesome!  I finished with happiness in 5:51 and became a MARATHONER!

I got my bib!

Rob, likely regretting his statement that this is the one marathon that if someone got into, he'd train and do with them!


Training buddy Tip. She's a sweet machine!

Still smiling at mile 11

Too much fun!

Heading out to Haines Point

More fun with friends!  What a gorgeous day!
I beat the bridge! I've got this!
Already hyper at mile 22, then they added donuts at mile 24!




Triumpant!


Calling everyone I knew!





No comments:

Post a Comment