Sunday, November 27, 2016

Marine Corps 17.75K

Fast forward two years.  I moved cross country and after volunteering at the 2013 MCM, decided to try to do a full marathon.  Naturally, after finishing the Disney Princess Half Marathon of 2012, I stopped running once again!  So I was starting from scratch.  I trained on my own over the winter for this thing called the Marine Corps 17.75K.  By finishing this race, you get an automatic guaranteed entry into the Marine Corps Marathon.  It was pretty exciting and a bit intimidating.  I really wanted to finish!  I left Mom sleeping at the hotel and headed out in the dark towards Quantico and eventually to this Prince William Forest area.
This race was hard since it was hilly (mile 5!) and not all on pavement.  I was still doing treadmill training at this time so the uneven ground was not fun.  I don't like getting sticks and twigs in my shoes!  Afterwards, my quads really hurt from the downhills, but I got it done!  When I got back to the hotel, I immediately registered.  Mom was with me and expressed shock that I actually had to PAY to enter a marathon.  She knew I'd really lost my mind at that point!

I have no idea what my time was for this one.  No medal, just that "Access Granted" slip and a coin
 Early Race Morning
 Oh my goodness, I did it! (I also wish I would have kept that shirt)
 Posing with Marine mascots
Laying in the grass afterwards, feeling happy

No comments:

Post a Comment